Phonics - Read Write Inc
At Linthorpe Community Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get our children off to a flying start with their English learning. The RWI method is a pacy and vigorous way to learn all of the sounds needed for reading and writing.
When using the RWI programme to read the children will:
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using sound blending known as Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring the words that have been learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions
When using the RWI programme to write the children will:
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds
- learn to write words by saying sounds in Fred Talk
- write simple sentences
A guide for parents
Please click on the links below to watch the short videos to gain an understanding of the RWI programme.
Children begin their daily RWI sessions in the Autumn term of Reception although the vital skills, such as listening carefully and beginning to articulate understanding are given great importance in our Nursery setting. The RWI programme is then followed throughout school.
In addition to our phonics programme we teach words that are not phonetically decodable such as: the, said and you. These words are known as red words as we have to STOP to think what they are.