Information, Advice and Support Services (SENDIASS)
From 1st March 2021, Middlesbrough’s SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) is provided by Barnardo’s.
SENDIASS at Barnardo’s offers free, confidential and impartial help for children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities, and their parents. The service is there to help you make informed decisions around educational choices for children and young people with SEN. They will also offer help and support with related issues, such as health and social care provision, wherever possible.
It’s very important that families are fully involved in their child’s education. SENDIASS supports parents and carers in building and maintaining positive relationships with their child’s school and the Local Education Authority, so they feel empowered and fully informed.
Children and young people can also contact SENDIASS directly, and are entitled to independent access to the free, confidential and impartial service provided by SENDIASS.
You can contact SENDIASS at Barnardo’s for lots of different reasons. If they aren’t able to help you, they can put you in touch with someone who can. You might contact the service if you:
- need help understanding and filling in forms and paperwork relating to education
- need the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) process explaining
- would like more information about your child’s specific learning difficulty
- feel communication has broken down between you and your child’s school
- want to appeal against any decision made about your child’s education
- are a child or young person who wants information, advice or support about your own special educational needs, including problems at school that are not being resolved with your parents’ help
- want an Independent Supporter to help you understand the Education, Health and Care Plan system and assessments
Barnardo’s can also offer an Information, Advice and Support Service for health and social care needs in relation to SEND.
Who to contact
Phone: 07925 149157
What is an Information Advice and Support Service? – Video