SEN Information Report 

Identification of needs

How does the school identify children with special educational needs?

Linthorpe Community Primary School has a whole school approach to continually assessing, planning, implementing, and reviewing our approach to teaching all children. Teachers use a range of sources of information to identify a potential special educational need including:

  • Teachers’ assessment and experience of the child.
  • Pupil progress, attainment and behaviour.
  • The child’s development in comparison with their peers.
  • The views and experiences of parents.
  • The child’s own views.
  • Advice from external support services e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Visual /Hearing Impairment.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have too.
  • Plan any additional support your child may receive.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning.

How do we involve parents in planning for those needs?

You will be invited into school to discuss the needs of your child and to talk about the kinds of provision that are available – you will also be invited to:

  • Termly structured conversations with the class teacher, which focus on your child’s needs and how to help both at home and school.


Who in the school will support my child and how will this be monitored and evaluated?

Within Linthorpe Community Primary School the person given responsibility for the overall co-ordination of SEND support provision is Claire Oyston and the person given responsibility for high and or/complex needs is Kay McDonough.

The SENDCO (Special Educational Needs or Disability Co-ordinator) – Mrs Claire Oyston.

The Phase SENDCOs are:

Pre-School – Mrs Chris Knock

Phase 1 – Miss Michaela Dixon

Phase 2 – Mrs Helen Mackin

Phase 3 – Mrs Claire Oyston

The Assistant Head Teacher / High Needs Lead SENDCO – Mrs Kay McDonough

The SEND team are responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
  • Involved in supporting your child’s learning.
  • Kept informed about the support your child is getting.
  • Involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Educational Psychologist etc…
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of children in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Class teacher

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENDCO know as necessary.
  • Setting and reviewing targets with parents at least once each term and planning for these for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the children they teach with SEND.

Headteacher – Mrs G. Mitchell

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEND.

SEND Governor – Mrs P. Whiteway

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the SEND policies and procedures are followed and necessary support is made for any child who attends the school with SEND.

 How are decisions made about the type and amount of provision a child will need?

The teacher supported by the SENDCO, is responsible for determining provision – teachers are best placed to know the kind of differentiation that children require and whether additional intervention is needed to sustain or improve their progress. Some children may receive short term interventions, some may require longer periods of support and support may be within a small group or offered on an individual basis. The progress made by each child is tracked carefully by the teacher, SENDCO and other senior leaders. The class teacher will keep parents informed as to the impact of targeted provision, what has worked well, and what has not worked or has ceased to make an impact during review and planning meetings.

 Specific group work delivered in a smaller group of children.

This group, often called intervention groups by schools, may be

 Run in the classroom or in a small group room.

  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups.
  • Run by a key worker from the Care Team

 For your child this could mean:

 He/she will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make progress.

  • A teacher/teaching assistant will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan.
  • He/she may access the care team for opportunities to talk through barriers to learning which may stem from outside of school.
  • He/she may work with the care team on specific issues relating to low self-esteem, self-control, behaviour strategies, emotional regulation etc.

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist provision delivered by outside agencies

Individual support for your child in school or at another location

Outside agencies such as Hearing Impaired Service and Speech and Language Therapy.

Attendance at a Support Unit e.g. Overfields Speech and Language Unit or another agency e.g. Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service (CAMHS.)

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  • Support with setting targets which include their specific expertise.
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group.
  • A group or individual work with outside professional.
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school. We will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support

Substantial, targeted support for your child in school usually provided via High Needs Funding.

For your child:

  • This means that your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCO and other professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or daily small group teaching because their needs are severe and complex.
  • It might mean that your child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) though it is not necessary. Eligibility for High Need Funding is based on needs and provision rather than whether a child has an EHCP.
  • Individual support and strategies will be tailored to your child’s needs, with progress monitored and shared with you.


How will the curriculum be matched to the needs of the child?

  • Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
  • Specially trained support staff will be planned for, by the teacher, to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis, if needed, in order to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • Where your child would benefit from it, specific aids such as writing slopes, overlays, pencil grips, IT programmes, hearing and visual aids are provided.


How accessible is the school environment?

  • The ground floor and surrounding play areas are accessible to all with ramps leading on to all play areas.
  • Disabled toilet facilities are available in the main building, nursery, reception and in the Family Centre.
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.

Parental Involvement

How will both the school and the parent know how the child is doing and how will the school support the child’s learning?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and share information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.
  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting between the class teacher and the Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the children in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.
  • The SENDCO and Headteacher are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • Targets will be set according to your child’s needs. These will be monitored by the class teacher and SENDCO and discussed with you at termly in-school planning and review meetings.
  • A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, if it is agreed that this would be useful for you and your child.

 Overall Well-Being

What support will there be for the child’s well-being?

  • The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support through our Care Team, Family Support Workers Mrs S. Wase and Mrs V. McManus and Miss G. Barrow, Emotional Wellbeing Practitioner. Referrals can also be made into the Bungalow Project which has access to a range of services such as: domestic violence counselling, play therapy and links with the Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service (CAMHS.)
  • The school has a clear policy for medicines and has trained staff who administer first aid. Medicines are stored carefully and pupils needing medicines such as insulin or inhalers are given privacy to administer their own medicines. Other medicines can be administered by staff providing the necessary consent form has been completed by parents/carers.
  • Health plans are devised in conjunction with the School Nurse. Staff receive regular training in the use of epi-pens and basic paediatric first aid.
  • All educational visits have a first aider accompanying the visit.
  • All staff at the school have safeguarding training. The Designated Safeguarding Lead is Ms J. Whittaker and Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads are Mrs G. Mitchell and Mrs K. McDonough. They lead on and coordinate any provision for children for whom there is a safeguarding risk.

All staff recognise that children with SEND may be more vulnerable to safeguarding risks because of difficulties they might have with behaviour or communication.

Specialist Services

What specialist services and expertise are available at or are accessed by the school?

At times, it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise.

The agencies used by the school include:

  • School Nurse;
  • Educational Psychologist;
  • Speech and Language Therapy;
  • Sensory Teaching, Advisory and Support Service;
  • CAMHS;
  • South Tees Getting Help Team (CAMHS)
  • Neurodevelopmental Assessment Service
  • The Bungalow Project;
  • Paediatric Physiotherapy;
  • Paediatric Occupational Therapy;
  • Children’s Services;
  • The Cleveland Unit;
  • Early Years Specialist Support Service;
  • Outreach and Inclusion Service;
  • Sunflower Sensory Service;
  • Beverley School for Autism;
  • Beverley Park;
  • Holmwood Primary School;
  • Overfields Speech and Language Unit.

The Educational Psychologist at Linthorpe Community Primary School is Linda Madden. She would normally only work directly with children who have considerable needs or have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. The need to involve the Educational Psychologist would be discussed at the termly planning and review meetings with you and other professionals if appropriate. The Educational Psychologist will always meet with you and listen to your concerns as well as give feedback from any assessments that have been completed. She will offer advice to the school and you on how to best support your child in order to take their learning forward.

Staff Training

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had?

All staff have received safeguarding and first aid training including CPR, the use of  epi-pens, dealing with diabetes, epilepsy and the use of inhalers. Different members of staff have received training related to SEND.

These have included training on:

  • How to support children with dyslexia.
  • How to support children on the autism spectrum.
  • How to support children with social and emotional needs.
  • How to support children with speech and language difficulties.
  • How to support children with hearing impairment.
  • How to support children with physical and co-ordination needs.

Activities Outside School

How will the child be included in activities outside of the classroom including school trips?

Activities and school trips are available to all. The relevant risk assessments are completed and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required, a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How will the school prepare and support the child to join that particular school and how will it support the transition to the next stage of education and life?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

  • When starting school:
  • Visits to Linthorpe Community Primary School prior to enrolment are encouraged.
  • All parents are invited to welcome meetings and stay and play sessions before entry to Nursery or Reception.
  • The school has close links with the Cleveland Unit, Middlesbrough special schools and infant/junior support bases.
  • When moving classes in school:
  • Information will be passed on to the new teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher.
  • Additional visits to the new teacher will be arranged for your child.
  • If your child would be helped by photographs of their new classroom, social stories or a book to support them understand moving on than it will be made for them.
  • If your child is moving to another school:
  • We will contact the school SENDCO and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that needs to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • Transition to secondary school:
  • All our children take part in transition days to their allocated secondary school and additional visits can be arranged if needed.
  • Our care team, SENDCO and Year 6 team meet with colleagues from the secondary schools to share all relevant pupil information and hand over SEND files.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

SEND Resources

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to the child’s special educational needs?

The school tries to accommodate every child’s individual needs no matter how diverse. The SEND budget is allocated each financial year and the money is used to provide additional staff and resources for pupils with SEND. 

The Local Offer

The Local Authority’s local offer is published on the Middlesbrough Borough website

The Local Authority point of contact for all SEND related issues is The Inclusion and Specialist Support Service. They can be contacted 5 days a week via their duty/single point of contact number (01642 201831) or via email

The Team will be available:

Monday to Thursday – 9am to 5pm

Friday – 9.00am to 4.30pm

During School holidays – 9am to 3pm


If a parent/carer is unhappy about the arrangements made to meet the special educational needs of their child they should in the first instance discuss the matter with the SENDCO. In the event of no resolution to the issue, the parent/carer would be advised to speak to the Local Authority who would speak to the school in order to resolve any issues. If there were no resolution to the complaint the parent/carer would be given the school complaints procedures policy.

Further Information

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs, please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with a member of the SEND team.  You may contact any of the SENDCOs on 01642 885222.

Reviewed 2024